The Cornell Local Roads Program's roots go back to the 1920s when in 1923 the Civil Engineering Department at Cornell University held a conference on highway engineering. The first School for Highway Superintendents was held in 1938, the second in 1940. A few years were skipped during the war, and then the School began annual meetings in 1947.
Today we are one of 58 Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP) Centers established by the Federal Highway Administration. We are sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration and the New York State Department of Transportation, with additional funding provided by Cornell University, and participants' training fees. We provide training and technical assistance to local highway and public works officials in New York State.