View in a browser
View from the Road - January 2018
David Orr PE, Director, CLRP
Over 100 new Town Highway Superintendents just took their oath of office and started this week. Good luck and welcome. For both the new and used (to borrow an old phrase from our former director Lynne Irwin) Highway Superintendents and Public Works Directors, I wanted to point out some resources that can help you
as you get started.
- County-level Highway Associations: There are county-level associations of highway officials that are open to town, county, village, and city highway and public works officials. Most meet monthly, but take off some months in the winter and summer. Find yours and become an active member.
- Statewide Associations: There are also statewide associations of Town and County Highway Superintendents as well as other organizations such as New York Conference of Mayors (NYCOM), the Association of Towns of the State of NY (AOT), and the American Public Works Association (APWA), which provide support and information.
- Government & Industry: The New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), and industry associations are also good sources of information. We have a long list of these resources on our website.
- The Cornell Local Roads Program: We are always here to help you improve the quality and safety of your highways through training and technical assistance. We host workshops, provide direct technical assistance, host a video lending library, and manage an extensive website. More details for 2018 are being published in our next issue of the CLRP newsletter, Nuggets & Nibbles. If you are not sure where to go for help, contact us. If we cannot help, we will find you someone who can. We are hosting two webinars on managing the highway department and load roads and streets for new officials later this month. Please join us.
This is just a brief list of some of the resources available to highway and public works agencies. It may seem like a lot to take in, but we are always here to help. Please feel free to pass this on to anyone who is new and ask them to contact us.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
If you are receiving this email as a duplicate or if you would like to be removed from the mailing list, email us at email@example.com
Cornell Local Roads Program will be Hosting 2 Free Webinars for New Highway and Public Works Officials.
Webinars last for 1 hour and are limited to the first 100 attendees.
Registration for 2018 Spring Workshops is now open!
- 3/27/18 - Suffolk County
- 3/28/18 - Putnam County
- 4/25/18 - St. Lawrence County
- 4/26/18 - Saratoga County
Running Your Highway Department
- 4/3/18 - Niagara County
- 4/4/18 - Ontario County
- 4/5/18 - Tioga County
- 5/1/18 - Rockland County
- 5/2/18 - Montgomery County
- 5/3/18 - Lewis County
Powers and Duties
- 4/3/18 - Orange County
- 4/4/18 - Columbia County
- 5/2/18 - Livingston County
- 5/3/18 - Tompkins County
- 5/16/18 - Essex County
- 5/17/18 - Oneida County
- 4/24/18 - Chemung County
- 4/25/18 - Monroe County
- 4/26/18 - Cattaraugus County
- 5/22/18 - Dutchess County
- 5/23/18 - Delaware County
- 5/24/18 - Herkimer County
Local Roads Done Right
- 4/10/18 - Clinton County
- 4/11/18 - Schenectady County
- 4/12/18 - Ulster County
- 5/8/18 - Erie County
- 5/9/18 - Seneca County
- 5/10/18 - Broome County
Additional Information available here
2018 Cornell Local Roads Program CAMP Summer Intern Registrations Open
Information on the Cornell Asset Management Program Summer Intern Project, a downloadable brochure and registration form available here.
Winter Weather Operations Toolkit for local highway and public works departments now available
Featuring sample Snow and Ice control plans, a Snowplow Safety poster, and customizable winter operations brochures for your department or town. Available for download here.
2018 APWA Annual Conference
The 2018 state conference will be held April 11th-13th in Buffalo. Details available on the APWA website.
CLRP announces Build a Better Mousetrap Competition for local New York State Highway & Public Works Departments
Show off you or your team’s creative talents in a statewide competition featuring local innovative solutions to everyday problems faced by highway and public works departments.
- Deadline for entry is March 12th.
- Entry form available here.
- Contest rules, dates, and details available here.
Test Your Knowledge
WVDOT remembers fatal Silver Bridge collapse that led to national inspection program (VIDEO)
Erie, Pa., Buried in Five Feet of Snow After Record-Breaking Storm
New York Times
Couple delivers Christmas baby on side of road
View in a browser