Using Hand Tools Safely
Almost all of us use some sort of hand tool to perform a certain type of task everyday. However, tools, when used incorrectly, are a contributing factor to many injuries.
The following are a few helpful tips to allow you to perform this type of work safely:
- Use the correct tool for the job. A screw driver is not a pry bar!
- Keep tools clean and in good condition.
- Use and maintain power tools according to their instructions.
- Make sure power tools are properly grounded or are double insulated. Never cut off the ground plug…
- Switch off, unplug, and lockout power tools before servicing or changing blades or other attachments.
- Wear tight fitting clothing - no strings or loose ends to get entangled.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment. Safety glasses, protective clothing, face shields, goggles, hearing protection, dust masks, etc.
- Keep bystanders at a safe distance. Do not walk up to someone without obtaining their attention from a safe distance first.
- Unplug and store tools in a safe place after use.
- Don’t place any tools on top of your stepladder! – You will move it!!!
Above all else - be sure brain is engaged before putting body into motion!!!