In response to mandates and guidelines that dictate the need to maintain social distancing, CLRP is developing training available exclusively on-line and providing new digital education material in a variety of formats. We will also be distributing new Tech Tips, Quick Tips, Quick Answers, and Tailgate Talks weekly.
This Web page, will collect all of these new materials, training events, and resources in one convenient location for you to utilize. We invite you to continue to browse the rest of the CLRP website for even more training and educational material developed to serve the local highway and public works communities of New York State and beyond. As always, we value your feedback and we are still responding to inquiries.
Please contact us anytime at email@example.com or call us
The Cornell Local Roads Program has a new digital database of on-line training and educational resources available for the local highway and public works audience. From tailgate talks to webinars, you can find what you need using this searchable database with over 900 entries! Click the link above to start searching.
CLRP Webinars & On-line Trainings
Certificates of completion will be issued following the webinar for participants who attend the entire session. Certificates will be emailed out a day or two after the webinar.
Sessions with the PDH symbol are approved for engineering Professional Development Hours (PDH) In New York State.
Each webinar is worth 1 PDH. To obtain a PDH, please email a copy of your certificate to Barbara Lockwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Webinars may be livestreamed on the CLRP Facebook Page but viewers will not be eligible for PDH credits or certificates of completion.
Updated State of NY Information for Highway and Public Works Departments:
Update 5/11/20 - Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces Three Regions of New York State Ready to Begin Reopening May 15th
Update 4/15/20 - All people in NY required to wear face masks when in public
Update 4/13/2020 - Executive Order directing employers to provide essential workers with cloth or surgical masks free of charge to wear when directly interacting with the public.https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/amid-ongoing-covid-19-pandemic-governor-cuomo-issues-executive-order-directing-employers
Update 4/3/2020 -
New from the CDC: Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings, Especially in Areas of Significant Community-Based Transmission
View Not From the Road Weekly Message from CLRP Director David Orr
Bumper Banter Facebook Livestream Sessions
- Bumper Banter - 3/13/20
- Bumper Banter - 3/24/20
- Bumper Banter - 3/30/20
- Bumper Banter - 4/6/20
- Bumper Banter - 4/20/20
- Bumper Banter - 4/27/20
- Bumper Banter - 5/4/20
- Bumper Banter - 5/11/20
- Bumper Banter - 5/18/20
- Bumper Banter - 5/26/20
- Bumper Banter - 6/8/20
- Bumper Banter - 6/15/20
- Bumper Banter - 6/22/20
- Bumper Banter - 6/29/20
- Bumper Banter - 7/7/20
- Bumper Banter - 7/13/20
- Bumper Banter - 7/20/20
- Bumper Banter - 7/27/20
- Bumper Banter - 8/3/20
- Bumper Banter - 8/10/20
- Bumper Banter - 8/17/20
- The "Dirt" on Gravel Roads: 8.19.20
Gravel Roads Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Off the Rails: 8.11.20
Guiderail Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Keeping Your Culverts "Well" 8.5.20
- Shared Services Town Hall 7.28.20
- Paving: An Engineer's Perspective 7.21.20
Video - CLRP - Asphalt Paving: A Practitioner's Perspective
- Full Depth Reclamation 7.14.20
- Traffic Sign Handbook 7.7.20
- Steps to Pedestrian Safety in a Distracted Age 6.30.20
- Download Webinar Handout Here (pdf)
- Safety Starts at the Tailgate 6.23.20
- Thickness Design of Low-Volume Roadway Pavements 6.6.20
- When to Replace Your Equipment 6.9.20
- CLRP Virtual Highway School Day 3: Duties of a Local Highway Superintendent with Jeff Griswold 6.3.20
- CLRP Virtual Highway School Day 3: 2020 Build a Better Mousetrap Competition Award Winners 6.3.20
- CLRP Virtual Highway School Day 1 Welcome 6.1.20
- The Highway Superintendent and Town Supervisor: a Conversation 6.1.20
- Budget Basics 5.28.20
- Be Careful Out There: Keeping Everyone Safe in the Work Zone Webinar 5.26.20
- Preparing an Asset Management Plan for Your Pavements 5/21/20
- Preparing an Asset Management Plan Handout (pdf)
- Stump the Engineer 5/12/20
- Common Pavement Preservation Techniques 5/19/20
- Soils and Your Roads and Streets 5/14/20
- Running Your Highway Department 5/12/20
- Defusing Stressful Encounters: Basic Human Communication Techniques 5/8/20
- Defusing Stressful Encounters Handout (pdf)
- Town Hall Forum - COVID-19 and Summer Projects 5/6/20
- Understanding Erosion and Sediment Control 4/30/20
- Understanding Erosion and Sediment Control Handout (pdf)
- Stump the Engineer Town Hall 4/29/20
- Signs, Signs, Everywhere a Sign 4/28/20
- The New “Little Greenbook” and Local Highway Geometric Standards 4/23/20
- "Little Greenbook" Handout (pdf)
- Essential Services Town Hall 4/22/20
- Estimating and Understanding
the Costs of Highway Projects 4/21/20
- Estimating Costs Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Myths of Traffic Calming Webinar 4/16/20
- Myths of Traffic Calming Handout (pdf)
- Stump the Engineer Q&A 4/15/20
- We are All Responsible for Good Roads
- What Would You Do? - Ethical Choices
Gravel Roads Tech Tips
A Recipe for Success
Gradation of Granular Materials
Local Road Material Specification
Sampling and Preparation for Testing
Sand Equivalent Test
Quick Wash Test
When To Pave a Gravel Road?
- CLRP - Essential Worker Thank You
- CLRP - Asphalt Paving: A Practitioner's Perspective
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Introduction
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Pothole Patching
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Thin Wearing
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Crack Repair
- ARTBA Video - Preventing the Spread of Infectious Diseases on Highway Work Zones
- New Jersey LTAP ADA Transition Plans Video
- FHWA: Rumble Strips: The Sweet Sound of Safety
Tailgate Talks, Tech Tips, &
- 3 Points of Contact (pdf)
- Aggressive Drivers (pdf)
- Hygiene in the Workplace (pdf)
- Dealing with Stress (pdf)
- Voluntary Respirators (pdf)
- Disposable Glove Removal (pdf)
- Driver Safety (pdf)
- Clean Truck (pdf
- Tire Explosions (pdf)
- Stretching 101 (pdf)
- Workstation Ergonomics (pdf)
- Back Pain (pdf)
- Heat Stress Safety (pdf)
- First Aid for Chemical Burns (pdf)
- Highway Operations and COVID-19 (pdf)
- Staying Connected Remotely (pdf)
- COVID-10 and Essential Highway Work (pdf)
- How do I post or assign a speed limit on a dead-end road?
- Work Force Reduction and Essential Staff
- Face Mask Procurement
- Can we put a concrete barrier across a closed bridge to keep vehicles from going around our Type III barricade?
- Have CHIPS/PAVE NY allocations for FY 2020/20201
- Are there any publications available on Culvert Flushing?
- Can I use a “Child with Autism” warning sign in New York?
- How do I adjust the asphalt emulsion rate for various surfaces when placing a chip seal?
- Where can I find a simple specification so I can add a wedge joint or safety edge to my paving contracts?
- What is the risk over overspray from herbicide application?
- Can we use signs with LEDs in the border to enhance conspicuity?
- What are the requirements for permanently posting a road for weight?
NYSAOTSOH 20-21 Budget Transportation Overview
Fliers Highlighting On-line Training Resources:
Guidance for Local Agencies and the Pubic
- Model NYSAC Letter - Urging Preparedness & Calm (word)
- COVID-19 Guidance for NYSDOT Construction Projects (pdf)
- Office of the State Comptroller Local Government and School Accountability Common Issues and Responses April 3,2020 (Updated from 3/25/2020) (pdf)
- NYS Comptroller Financial Survival Toolkit
- Resource available from Department of
Homeland Security Download Here (pdf)
- OSHA Guidance for Reporting COVID-19 Cases
- New York Extension Disaster Education Network COVID -19 Page