NYSLTAP - CLRP
Webinars & On-line Trainings
Certificates of completion will be issued following the webinar for participants who attend the entire session. Certificates will be emailed out a day or two after the webinar.
Sessions with the PDH symbol are approved for engineering Professional Development Hours (PDH) In New York State.
Each webinar worth PDH credit is worth 1 PDH. To obtain a PDH, please email a copy of your certificate to Barbara Lockwood at email@example.com.
Webinars may be livestreamed on the CLRP Facebook Page but viewers will not be eligible for PDH credits or certificates of completion.
NYSLTAP - CLRP Summer 2021
Topical Tuesday Webinars
Topical Tuesday Webinars are held from 9am - 10am EST most Tuesdays throughout the summer.
July 27, 9:00am - 10:00am: Intermunicipal Agreements &
August 3, 9:00am - 10:00am: Off the Rails: Safety Along
the Roadside (PDH)
Instructor: NYSLTAP-CLRP Director David Orr, P.E.
To improve driver safety, many agencies turn to guiderail. During this webinar, David will discuss steps that should be reviewed prior to installing rail, how rail works, and the basics of a proper roadside barrier.
August 10, 9:00am - 10:00am: Federal Aid Projects (PDH)
Instructor: NYSLTAP-CLRP Director David Orr, P.E.
Agencies that get federal aid are sometimes blindsided by the requirements in the federal process. There are certain critical steps needed to make a federal aid construction contract work. In this one hour webinar, David will give you some of the basics and help you understand and start on the journey to successful project using federal dollars.
August 17, 9:00am - 10:00am: Erosion: soils, slopes, mitigation and maintenance
Instructor: NYSLTAP-CLRP Technical Assistance Engineer Geoff Scott, P.E.
Erosion is costly to the environment and to the bottom line. In this session Geoff will discuss erosion issues and ways to mitigate and maintain surfaces prone to erosion.
August 31, 9:00am - 10:00am: Snow and Ice Control Chemicals
High quality snow and ice control works best with an understanding of the materials used to provide winter maintenance. In this session Jim will discuss the various chemicals and how they can be used solid, liquid, and pre-wetted forms.
Instructor: Jim Craw
James “Jim” Craw has been on the forefront of snow and ice control innovation for over 36 years. His experiences include 20 years with the Town of Manlius and over 16 years with the Villages of Fayetteville and Manlius. He has helped many other highway agencies develop snow and ice control plans and has spoken at the Highway School in Ithaca and the NYCOM Public Works School many times on snow and ice control issues.
Fall 2021 Virtual Workshop Webinars
A Highway Department's Liabilities
Bumper Banter Facebook Livestream Sessions
Live Facebook video updates from NYSLTAP-CLRP Director David Orr every Monday at 11am. Just watch the NYSLTAP-CLRP Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/CornellLocalRoads
- NYSLTAP - CLRP Engineering Workshop: Low-Volume Roads - LVR Geometry 6.16.21
- NYSLTAP - CLRP Engineering Workshop: Low-Volume Roads - LVR Thickness Design 6.23.21
- NYSLTAP - CLRP Topical Tuesday Webinar: Flagging 6.22.21
- NYSLTAP - CLRP Topical Tuesday Webinar: Fleet & Equipment Management 6.15.21
- Introduction to Construction Management 3.1.21
CCA Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Keeping Everyone Safe in the Work Zone 2.21.21
- Application Rates for Snow and Ice Chemicals 2.16.21
Salt Calibration Spreadsheet Tool - With Numbers
Salt Calibration Spreadsheet Tool - WIthout Numbers
- Controlling Potential Drainage Problems 2.9.21
- Asset Management 2.2.21
Asset Management Handout
- Winter Maintenance: Snow Plowing and Removal 1.26.21
- Estimating and Understanding the Costs of Highway Projects 1.12.21
- Common Pavement Maintenance Techniques 1.5.21
"Throw and Roll" Video
- The "Dirt" on Gravel Roads: 8.19.20
Gravel Roads Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Off the Rails: 8.11.20
Guiderail Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Keeping Your Culverts "Well" 8.5.20
- Shared Services Town Hall 7.28.20
- Paving: An Engineer's Perspective 7.21.20
Video - CLRP - Asphalt Paving: A Practitioner's Perspective
- Full Depth Reclamation 7.14.20
- Traffic Sign Handbook 7.7.20
- Steps to Pedestrian Safety in a Distracted Age 6.30.20
- Download Webinar Handout Here (pdf)
- Safety Starts at the Tailgate 6.23.20
- Thickness Design of Low-Volume Roadway Pavements 6.6.20
- When to Replace Your Equipment 6.9.20
- CLRP Virtual Highway School Day 3: Duties of a Local Highway Superintendent with Jeff Griswold 6.3.20
- CLRP Virtual Highway School Day 3: 2020 Build a Better Mousetrap Competition Award Winners 6.3.20
- CLRP Virtual Highway School Day 1 Welcome 6.1.20
- The Highway Superintendent and Town Supervisor: a Conversation 6.1.20
- Budget Basics 5.28.20
- Be Careful Out There: Keeping Everyone Safe in the Work Zone Webinar 5.26.20
- Preparing an Asset Management Plan for Your Pavements 5/21/20
- Preparing an Asset Management Plan Handout (pdf)
- Stump the Engineer 5/12/20
- Common Pavement Preservation Techniques 5/19/20
- Soils and Your Roads and Streets 5/14/20
- Running Your Highway Department 5/12/20
- Defusing Stressful Encounters: Basic Human Communication Techniques 5/8/20
- Defusing Stressful Encounters Handout (pdf)
- Town Hall Forum - COVID-19 and Summer Projects 5/6/20
- Understanding Erosion and Sediment Control 4/30/20
- Understanding Erosion and Sediment Control Handout (pdf)
- Stump the Engineer Town Hall 4/29/20
- Signs, Signs, Everywhere a Sign 4/28/20
- The New “Little Greenbook” and Local Highway Geometric Standards 4/23/20
- "Little Greenbook" Handout (pdf)
- Essential Services Town Hall 4/22/20
- Estimating and Understanding
the Costs of Highway Projects 4/21/20
- Estimating Costs Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Myths of Traffic Calming Webinar 4/16/20
- Myths of Traffic Calming Handout (pdf)
- Stump the Engineer Q&A 4/15/20
- We are All Responsible for Good Roads
- What Would You Do? - Ethical Choices
Gravel Roads Tech Tips
A Recipe for Success
Gradation of Granular Materials
Local Road Material Specification
Sampling and Preparation for Testing
Sand Equivalent Test
Quick Wash Test
When To Pave a Gravel Road?
- CLRP - Essential Worker Thank You
- CLRP - Asphalt Paving: A Practitioner's Perspective
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Introduction
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Pothole Patching
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Thin Wearing
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Crack Repair
- ARTBA Video - Preventing the Spread of Infectious Diseases on Highway Work Zones
- New Jersey LTAP ADA Transition Plans Video
- FHWA: Rumble Strips: The Sweet Sound of Safety