2019 Pavement Management Summer Intern Position
Qualifications: College student with an interest in road and highway maintenance and management. DRIVER'S LICENSE IS REQUIRED.
ROAD SURFACE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM INTERNS (1 Position Per Agency): Students perform the following activities during the summer:
- collect road inventory and condition surveys
- determine repair alternatives and associated unit costs
- generate a prioritized listing of road repairs using CAMP-RS computer program
- create a five year plan using prioritized listings
- instruct a municipal employee on how to update CAMP-RS
- prepare a final summary report; present report to the elected Board
- provide a copy of the final report, including five-year plan, to CLRP and the municipality; complete an internship/program evaluation form
- assist the highway department in other roles as time permits
After implementing CAMP-RS, students may do other work as needed, possibly including:
- inventory drainage facilities and sidewalks
- flag traffic
- perform highway construction work
- run equipment on construction sites
- input data into computer-based mapping programs
As a municipal employee, hours are same as hours of any other summer employee in the department, whether the agency works a five-day or four-day work week during the summer. Training is provided over three-days on May 21th and 22st and May 23st. 1-1/2 days are with the municipal employee and the student together, who are taught about pavement management systems and CAMP-RS in particular. Municipal employees and students work together to survey real roads, input data into CAMP-RS, and generate reports.
Program administrators will make a minimum of two field visits to help students overcome any difficulties specific to the municipality, ensure surveys and reports are created in the proper manner, and to help the public works agency understand that information. In addition, staff will be available to students for phone consultation and by email as needed. Staff also provides necessary computer support & project advice to enable interns and employees to complete CAMP-RS successfully.