Running Your Highway Department
This course covers the roles and responsibilities involved in managing a small to medium sized department. The materials covered will be of use to any highway or public works superintendent.
- Workshop manual: Running Your Highway Department (pdf)
- Estimating project costs spreadsheet (pdf)
- Estimating project costs spreadsheet (xlsx)
- Budget needs spreadsheet (xls)
- Blank worksheet (pdf)
- Personnel policy (pdf)
- A Roadmaster qualified course
- How to Request a Workshop
Who should attend
Recently elected or appointed town or village highway superintendents or public works officials who supervise staff.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Compare and contrast various highway department organizational structures
- Calculate efficiency of various highway department operations
- Locate critical resources needed to manage the department
- List the assets of the department and develop simple replacement plans
- Identify the proper budget lines to use and describe various budgeting methods
- Propose asset management plans to the board
The bottom line
Run your department efficiently and find ways to improve the quality of your highway system within budget constraints
Marty Roberts retired as the long-term Highway Superintendent for the Town of Reading at the end of 2015. He is also a past President of the New York State Association of Town Superintendents of Highways (NYSAOTSOH).
$50 per attendee
Timing of workshops
Workshops typically run from 8.30am to 3pm. Sign-in starts at 8am.