Powers and Duties of Local Highway Officials
A Road Master Qualified Course
Request this workshop at your site
Virtual - September 24
Virtual - November 3
** Upon Registration, attendees will be sent links to the webinars.
Who Should Attend
Town, county, city and village highway, public works and municipal officials who have responsibility for or are interested in the legal responsibilities of the operations and management of highway departments in New York State.
James L. Gelormini is an attorney in private practice in Rochester New York since 2008 after retiring from his position as a New York State Assistant Attorney General after 20 years of service.
Topics (Webinar Topics may be Modified from this List)
- Use the legal principles governing the establishment and abandonment of highways.
- List the sources of 'law' pertaining to highway officials.
- Explain the legal principles governing the width of a highway right-of-way.
- Discuss a highway official’s legal authority to cause highway obstructions to be removed and the use of emergency powers.
- Assess conflict of interest and ethics obligations.
- Apply Freedom of Information Law and Labor Relations.
Webinar Dates and Schedule
All Virtual - Free
Timing of Virtual Workshop Webinars
Virtual Workshop Webinars will run from 9am - 2pm with 30 minute breaks every hour.
Workshop Manual: Powers and Duties of Local Highway Officials (pdf)