In response to mandates and guidelines that dictate the need to maintain social distancing, NYSLTAP - CLRP is developing training available exclusively on-line and providing new digital education material in a variety of formats. We will also be distributing new Tech Tips, Quick Tips, Quick Answers, and Tailgate Talks weekly.
This Web page, will collect all of these new materials, training events, and resources in one convenient location for you to utilize. We invite you to continue to browse the rest of the NYSLTAP - CLRP website for even more training and educational material developed to serve the local highway and public works communities of New York State and beyond. As always, we value your feedback and we are still responding to inquiries.
Please contact us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us
The NYS LTAP Center - Cornell Local Roads Program has a new digital database of on-line training and educational resources available for the local highway and public works audience. From tailgate talks to webinars, you can find what you need using this searchable database with over 900 entries! Click the link above to start searching.
NYSLTAP - CLRP Webinars & On-line Trainings
Certificates of completion will be issued following the webinar for participants who attend the entire session. Certificates will be emailed out a day or two after the webinar.
Sessions with the PDH symbol are approved for engineering Professional Development Hours (PDH) In New York State.
Each webinar worth PDH credit is worth 1 PDH. To obtain a PDH, please email a copy of your certificate to Barbara Lockwood at email@example.com.
Webinars may be livestreamed on the CLRP Facebook Page but viewers will not be eligible for PDH credits or certificates of completion.
NYSLTAP - CLRP & NJ LTAP Low-Volume Roads Webinar:
Join us April 28, 2021 for the first in a series of mini webinars. These mini webinars are being offered "one time only" so do not delay in registering!
This webinar is geared toward municipal and county public works participants who manage and maintain local and rural roads. Low-volume roads (LVRs) make up more than half the centerline mileage in the United States. Most local roads and streets are low-volume but are not actually designed. In this free webinar,
Our speaker, David Orr, will provide an overview of geometric and thickness design of roads and streets with less than 2,000 vehicles per day. We will also review the critical inputs needed for LVR pavement design and discuss ways for local agencies to design the thickness of their LVRs.
The The New York State LTAP - Cornell University Local Roads Program, a Rutgers CAIT research partner, worked with local highway agencies to develop a pavement design tool that can determine the needed thickness of a new asphalt layer using basic inputs and assumptions.
- Identify what is an LVR
- Select the critical inputs needed for LVR design
- Compare LVR geometric design issues
- Determine the design life of an LVR pavement
Intended Audience: Individuals who are managing and/or performing construction, maintenance or repair on low-volume municipal roadways including: construction professionals, engineers, and public works employees, and street superintendents.
NYSLTAP-CLRP is also hosting expanded Low-Volume Roads webinars later this year. These webinars will be worth NYS PDH credit. Click here to learn more.
- Identiying and Reducing Legal Liabilities (All Virtual)
March 9 - Virtual
- Asphalt Paving Principles (All Virtual)
March 10 - Virtual
- Local Roads and Streets Done Right
March 11 - Virtual
April 14 - Broome Co.
May 11 - Jefferson Co.
- Solutions for Safer Roads and Streets
March 16 - Virtual
May 6 - Franklin Co.
May 18 - Suffolk Co.
- Running Your Highway Department
March 18 - Virtual
April 21 - Livingston Co.
March 31 - Virtual
April 28 - Dutchess Co.
May 12 - Jefferson Co.
- Dollars and $ense of Municipal Operations
April 1 - Virtual
April 15 - Broome Co.
April 29 - Dutchess Co.
May 13 - Jefferson Co.
May 20 - Suffolk Co.
- Work Zone Traffic Control
April 7 - Virtual
April 13 - Broome Co.
April 22 - Livingston Co.
May 5 - Franklin Co.
May 19 - Suffolk Co.
- Stormwater Management
April 8 - Virtual
April 20 - Livingston Co.
April 27 - Dutchess Co.
May 4 - Franklin Co.
Updated State of NY Information for Highway and Public Works Departments:
Vaccine Update - NYS COVID-19 Vaccination Program Plan
Download the pdf Here
NYS Vaccine distribution Phased Plan
All people in NY required to wear face masks when in public
Executive Order directing employers to provide essential workers with cloth or surgical masks free of charge to wear when directly interacting with the public.https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/amid-ongoing-covid-19-pandemic-governor-cuomo-issues-executive-order-directing-employers
New from the CDC: Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings, Especially in Areas of Significant Community-Based Transmission
View Not From the Road Weekly Message from NYSLTAP - CLRP Director David Orr
Bumper Banter Facebook Livestream Sessions
- Bumper Banter - 3/13/20
- Bumper Banter - 3/24/20
- Bumper Banter - 3/30/20
- Bumper Banter - 4/6/20
- Bumper Banter - 4/20/20
- Bumper Banter - 4/27/20
- Bumper Banter - 5/4/20
- Bumper Banter - 5/11/20
- Bumper Banter - 5/18/20
- Bumper Banter - 5/26/20
- Bumper Banter - 6/8/20
- Bumper Banter - 6/15/20
- Bumper Banter - 6/22/20
- Bumper Banter - 6/29/20
- Bumper Banter - 7/7/20
- Bumper Banter - 7/13/20
- Bumper Banter - 7/20/20
- Bumper Banter - 7/27/20
- Bumper Banter - 8/3/20
- Bumper Banter - 8/10/20
- Bumper Banter - 8/17/20
- Bumper Banter - 8/24/20
- Bumper Banter - 8/31/20
- Bumper Banter - 9/7/20
- Bumper Banter - 9/8/20
- Bumper Banter - 9/14/20
- Bumper Banter - 9/21/20
- Bumper Banter - 9/28/20
- Bumper Banter - 10/5/20
- Introduction to Construction Management 3.1.21
CCA Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Keeping Everyone Safe in the Work Zone 2.21.21
- Application Rates for Snow and Ice Chemicals 2.16.21
Salt Calibration Spreadsheet Tool - With Numbers
Salt Calibration Spreadsheet Tool - WIthout Numbers
- Controlling Potential Drainage Problems 2.9.21
- Asset Management 2.2.21
Asset Management Handout
- Winter Maintenance: Snow Plowing and Removal 1.26.21
- Estimating and Understanding the Costs of Highway Projects 1.12.21
- Common Pavement Maintenance Techniques 1.5.21
"Throw and Roll" Video
- The "Dirt" on Gravel Roads: 8.19.20
Gravel Roads Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Off the Rails: 8.11.20
Guiderail Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Keeping Your Culverts "Well" 8.5.20
- Shared Services Town Hall 7.28.20
- Paving: An Engineer's Perspective 7.21.20
Video - CLRP - Asphalt Paving: A Practitioner's Perspective
- Full Depth Reclamation 7.14.20
- Traffic Sign Handbook 7.7.20
- Steps to Pedestrian Safety in a Distracted Age 6.30.20
- Download Webinar Handout Here (pdf)
- Safety Starts at the Tailgate 6.23.20
- Thickness Design of Low-Volume Roadway Pavements 6.6.20
- When to Replace Your Equipment 6.9.20
- CLRP Virtual Highway School Day 3: Duties of a Local Highway Superintendent with Jeff Griswold 6.3.20
- CLRP Virtual Highway School Day 3: 2020 Build a Better Mousetrap Competition Award Winners 6.3.20
- CLRP Virtual Highway School Day 1 Welcome 6.1.20
- The Highway Superintendent and Town Supervisor: a Conversation 6.1.20
- Budget Basics 5.28.20
- Be Careful Out There: Keeping Everyone Safe in the Work Zone Webinar 5.26.20
- Preparing an Asset Management Plan for Your Pavements 5/21/20
- Preparing an Asset Management Plan Handout (pdf)
- Stump the Engineer 5/12/20
- Common Pavement Preservation Techniques 5/19/20
- Soils and Your Roads and Streets 5/14/20
- Running Your Highway Department 5/12/20
- Defusing Stressful Encounters: Basic Human Communication Techniques 5/8/20
- Defusing Stressful Encounters Handout (pdf)
- Town Hall Forum - COVID-19 and Summer Projects 5/6/20
- Understanding Erosion and Sediment Control 4/30/20
- Understanding Erosion and Sediment Control Handout (pdf)
- Stump the Engineer Town Hall 4/29/20
- Signs, Signs, Everywhere a Sign 4/28/20
- The New “Little Greenbook” and Local Highway Geometric Standards 4/23/20
- "Little Greenbook" Handout (pdf)
- Essential Services Town Hall 4/22/20
- Estimating and Understanding
the Costs of Highway Projects 4/21/20
- Estimating Costs Webinar Handout (pdf)
- Myths of Traffic Calming Webinar 4/16/20
- Myths of Traffic Calming Handout (pdf)
- Stump the Engineer Q&A 4/15/20
- We are All Responsible for Good Roads
- What Would You Do? - Ethical Choices
Gravel Roads Tech Tips
A Recipe for Success
Gradation of Granular Materials
Local Road Material Specification
Sampling and Preparation for Testing
Sand Equivalent Test
Quick Wash Test
When To Pave a Gravel Road?
- CLRP - Essential Worker Thank You
- CLRP - Asphalt Paving: A Practitioner's Perspective
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Introduction
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Pothole Patching
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Thin Wearing
- CLRP - Pavement Maintenance - Crack Repair
- ARTBA Video - Preventing the Spread of Infectious Diseases on Highway Work Zones
- New Jersey LTAP ADA Transition Plans Video
- FHWA: Rumble Strips: The Sweet Sound of Safety
Tailgate Talks, Tech Tips, &
- 3 Points of Contact (pdf)
- Aggressive Drivers (pdf)
- Bee Stings (pdf)
- Hygiene in the Workplace (pdf)
- Dealing with Stress (pdf)
- Voluntary Respirators (pdf)
- Disposable Glove Removal (pdf)
- Driver Safety (pdf)
- Clean Truck (pdf
- Tire Explosions (pdf)
- Stretching 101 (pdf)
- Workstation Ergonomics (pdf)
- Back Pain (pdf)
- Heat Stress Safety (pdf)
- First Aid for Chemical Burns (pdf)
- Wellness Habits (pdf)
- Safety Awareness (pdf)
- Working Along the Roadway (pdf)
- Highway Operations and COVID-19 (pdf)
- Staying Connected Remotely (pdf)
- COVID-10 and Essential Highway Work (pdf)
- Winter Maintenance - COVID-19 Operations Plan (pdf)
Winter Maintenance - COVID-19 Operations Plan - More Tips (pdf)
- How do I post or assign a speed limit on a dead-end road?
- Work Force Reduction and Essential Staff
- Face Mask Procurement
- Can we put a concrete barrier across a closed bridge to keep vehicles from going around our Type III barricade?
- Have CHIPS/PAVE NY allocations for FY 2020/20201
- Are there any publications available on Culvert Flushing?
- Can I use a “Child with Autism” warning sign in New York?
- How do I adjust the asphalt emulsion rate for various surfaces when placing a chip seal?
- Where can I find a simple specification so I can add a wedge joint or safety edge to my paving contracts?
- What is the risk over overspray from herbicide application?
- Can we use signs with LEDs in the border to enhance conspicuity?
- What are the requirements for permanently posting a road for weight?
FHWA Center for Local Aid Support (CLAS)
NYSAOTSOH 20-21 Budget Transportation Overview
Fliers Highlighting On-line Training Resources:
Guidance for Local Agencies and the Pubic
- Model NYSAC Letter - Urging Preparedness & Calm (word)
- COVID-19 Guidance for NYSDOT Construction Projects (pdf)
- Office of the State Comptroller Local Government and School Accountability Common Issues and Responses April 3,2020 (Updated from 3/25/2020) (pdf)
- NYS Comptroller Financial Survival Toolkit
- Resource available from Department of
Homeland Security Download Here (pdf)
- OSHA Guidance for Reporting COVID-19 Cases
- New York Extension Disaster Education Network COVID -19 Page