Lesson 2: Work Zone Safety and Responsibility
Aim: After completing this lesson you will know the major liability issues associated with the control of traffic in a work zone.
Local highway departments have the responsibility for the safety of the public using a public roadway. This includes the control of traffic in a construction or maintenance area. Highway officials should understand their liability for accidents in the work zone.
To increase the effectiveness and safety of the work zone and to minimize potential lawsuits, highway and local government officials should:
- Know and comply with traffic control standards set forth in the MUTCD
- Provide appropriate and properly working traffic control devices at the work site
- Document placement of traffic control devices at the work site
- Inspect work zones regularly and correct traffic control deficiencies
- Remove unneeded material, equipment, and traffic control devices as soon as possible
- Provide advanced warning and protection to motorists, pedestrians, and workers
- Ensure that the signing, channelizing and other devices reflect current work activities
Flaggers should only be used when required to control traffic.