Powers and Duties of Local Highway Officials
A Road Master Qualified Course
Request this workshop at your site
Who Should Attend
Town, county, city and village highway, public works and municipal officials who have responsibility for or are interested in the legal responsibilities of the operations and management of highway departments in New York State.
James L. Gelormini is a Municipal Legal Consultant and a former New York State Assistant Attorney General, recently retired after 20 years of service.
- Use the legal principles governing the establishment and abandonment of highways.
- List the sources of 'law' pertaining to highway officials.
- Explain the legal principles governing the width of a highway right-of-way.
- Discuss a highway official’s legal authority to cause highway obstructions to be removed and the use of emergency powers.
- Assess conflict of interest and ethics obligations.
- Apply Freedom of Information Law and Labor Relations.
$50 per attendee
Timing of workshops
Workshops typically run from 8.30am to 3pm. Sign-in starts at 8am.
Workshop Manual: Powers and Duties of Local Highway Officials (pdf)